The School of Geosciences
Dave has worked on a variety of coastal management problems including shoreface processes, wave setup and runup processes on beaches and in river entrances, as well as emergency management of coastal erosion, coastal monitoring and shoreline change detection. Dave’s recent work has mainly been on focussed on coastal risk analysis with current projects examining risk to communities in NSW associated with tsunamis and sea level rise.
Dave graduated with an Honours Degree in Marine Science in 1985 and a Master of Science in 1990. He has worked for various NSW Government Departments in the field of coastal management since 1985. Dave has been an adjunct lecturer at Sydney University between 2004 and 2008 and has held an Honorary Associate position since 2010. Between 2008 and 2010 he moved to the Torres Strait to work on coastal erosion and inundation issues impacting island communities with the Torres Strait Regional Authority. Dave is currently employed by the Office of Environment and Heritage as a Senior Geomorphologist.
- Hanslow, D. J. and Isherwood M. (2010) The Torres Strait Climate Change Strategy. Environmental Management Program, Torres Strait Regional Authority, May 2010, 20p.
- Somerville, P., Hanslow, D. J. and Gissing, A. (2009) NSW Tsunami Risk – An Overview of the NSW Risk Assessment Scoping Study. Joint NSW and Victorian Flood Management Conference – Albury Wodonga 16 – 20 February 2009
- Hanslow, D. J., (2007) Beach Erosion Trend Measurement: A Comparison of Trend Indicators. Journal of Coastal Research SI 50.
- Hanslow D.J. and Gissing A. (2007) Coastal Erosion Emergency Planning. Proc NSW Coastal Conference, Nov 2007, Yamba.
- Hanslow D.J. and Howard, M. (2005) Emergency Management of Coastal Erosion in NSW. In: Morrison, Quin and Bryant (EDs). Planning for Natural Hazards- How can We Mitigate the Impacts? Proc. Symposium on Natural Hazards, GeoQuest Research Centre, University of Wollongong 103-116.
- Hanslow, D. J., Davis, G. A. You Z. J. and Zastawny, J., (2000) Berm Height at Coastal Lagoon Entrances in NSW. Proc. 10th. NSW Coastal Management Conference, Yamba, NSW.
- Evans, P., Hanslow, D.J., Coutts-Smith, A and You, Z., (2000) Nearshore-Innershelf Sediment Exchange on the New South Wales Central Coast. Proc. Int. Conf. on Coastal Eng. 2000.
- Cowell, P. J., Hanslow, D. J. and Meleo, J. F., (1999). The Shoreface. Chapter 3 in Beaches and Shoreface Morphodynamics, Editor: Prof. A. D. Short, John Wiley and Sons.
- Hanslow, D. J., Clout, R., Evans, P., and Coates, B., (1997). Monitoring Coastal Change using Photogrammetry. Proc. Institute of Australian Geographers and the New Zealand Geographical Society 2nd. Joint Conf., Hobart, Tasmania.
- Hanslow, D. J., Nielsen, P., and Hibbert, K., (1996). Wave Setup at River Entrances. Proc. 25th. International Conference on Coastal Engineering, pp241-252.
- Evans, P. and Hanslow, D. J., (1996). Take and a Long Line- Risk and Reality in Coastal Hazard Assessment. Proc. 6th. NSW Coastal Management Conference, Ulladulla, NSW.
- Hanslow, D. J. and Nielsen P., (1995). Field measurements of Runup on Natural Beaches. Proc. 12th. Australasian Conference on Coastal and Ocean Engineering, pp189-193.
- Nielsen, P. and Hanslow, D. J., (1995). Wave Setup at River Entrances. Proc. 12th. Australasian Conference on Coastal and Ocean Engineering, pp109-112.
- Hanslow, D. J. and Nielsen P., (1993). Shoreline Setup on Natural Beaches. Special Issue No. 15, Journal of Coastal Research, Beach and Surfzone Morphodynamics (Editor: A. D. Short).
- Hanslow, D. J., and Nielsen P., (1992). Wave Setup on Beaches and in River Entrances. Proc. 23rd. International Conference on Coastal Engineering, pp241-252.
- Hanslow, D. J., Davis, G. A., Sario, R., and Nielsen, P., (1992). Wave setup on Beaches and in River entrances. Proc. 2nd. NSW Coastal Management Conference, Coastline 92 Finding Solutions, Kiama, NSW.
- Nielsen, P. and Hanslow, D. J., (1991). Wave Runup Distributions on Natural Beaches. Journal of Coastal Research, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp1139-1152.