Associate Professor Deirdre Dragovich
Associate Professor Deirdre Dragovich, MA, PhD
Madsen Building (F09), Rm 437
Phone: +61 2 9351 2357
Fax: +61 2 9351 3644
Current research relates mainly to rock weathering in different environments, including work on monumental stone, desert varnish and arid environments generally; patterns of dryland salinity; sediment transfer on hillslopes and to streams, especially in post-fire landscapes; and management of soil erosion including pathway erosion in national parks. Postgraduate teaching involves supervision of PhD researchers and presentation of courses in environmental science (Management of Parks) and on research skills (Integrated Research Practice).
- Dragovich, D. and Egan, M. (2011) Salt weathering and experimental desalination treatment of building sandstone, Sydney (Australia). Environmental Earth Sciences [doi: 10.1007/s12665-010-0521-7.]
- Amiraslani, F. and Dragovich, D. (2011) Combating desertification in Iran over the last 50 years: an overview of changing approaches. Journal of Environmental Management, 92: 1-13. [doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.08.012]
- Haron, M. and Dragovich, D. (2010) Climatic influences on dryland salinity in central west New South Wales, Australia. Journal of Arid Environments, 74: 1216-1224. [doi: 10.1016/j.jaridenv.2010.04.014]
- Amiraslani, F. and Dragovich, D. (2010) Cross-sectoral and participatory approaches to combating desertification: the Iranian experience. Natural Resources Forum, 34: 140-154.
- Smith, H.G. and Dragovich, D. (2009) Interpreting sediment delivery processes using suspended sediment-discharge patterns from nested upland catchments, south-eastern Australia. Hydrological Processes, 23: 2415-2426. [doi: 10.1002/hyp.7357]
- Dragovich, D. and Dominis, M. (2008) Dryland salinity and rainfall patterns: a preliminary investigation in central west New South Wales, Australia. Land Degradation and Development, 19: 564-573. [doi 10.1002/ldr.866]
- Smith, H.G. and Dragovich, D. (2008) Improving precision in sediment source and erosion process distinction in an upland catchment, south-eastern Australia. Catena, 72: 191-203.
- Smith, H.G. and Dragovich, D. (2008) Post-fire hillslope erosion response in a sub-alpine environment, south-eastern Australia. Catena doi:10.1016/j.catena.2007.11.003
- Smith, H.G. and Dragovich, D. (2008) Sediment budget analysis of slope-channel coupling and in-channel sediment storage in an upland catchment, southeastern Australia. Geomorphology doi:10.1016/j.geomorph.2008.03.004
- (University-level text) Bridgman, H., Dragovich, D. and Dodson, J.R. (2008) The Australian Physical Environment. Oxford University Press, South Melbourne, Australia. ISBN 9780195541090. Australian Educational Publishing Awards – joint winner of the Tertiary (wholly Australian) Single Title, 2009
- Baja, S., Chapman, D.M. and Dragovich, D. (2007) Spatial based compromise programming for multiple criteria decision making in land use planning. Environmental Modeling and Assessment, 12: 171-184.
- Markopolous, T., Perdikatsis, V., Repouskou, E. and Dragovich, D. (2006) Mortar analysis of samples from the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney. In Fort, R., Alvarez de Buergo, M., Gomez-Heras, M. and Vasquez-Calvo, C. (eds) Heritage, weathering and conservation, Balkema, 1: 57-61.
- Dragovich, D. (2003) Desert varnish in Australia's arid environments: a geographical perspective. In Geography's New Frontiers, NSW Geographical Society Conference Papers No.17, 31-41.
- Baja, S., Chapman, D.M. and Dragovich, D. (2002) A conceptual model for defining and assessing land management units using a fuzzy modelling approach in a GIS environment. Environmental Management, 29: 647-661.
- Baja, S., Chapman, D.M. and Dragovich, D. (2002) Using GIS-based continuous methods for assessing agricultural land use potentials in sloping areas. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 29: 3-20.
- Dragovich, D. and Morris, R. (2002) Fire intensity, runoff and sediment movement in eucalypt forest near Sydney, Australia. In Allison R.J. (ed) Applied Geomorphology: theory and practice, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 145-163.
- Dragovich, D. and Morris, R. (2002) Sediment and organic matter movement following bushfires in the Blue Mountains, Australia. In Dyer, F.J., Thoms, M.C and Olley, J.M (eds) The structure, function and management implications of fluvial sedimentary systems, IAHS Publ no. 276, 325-331.
- Dragovich, D, and Morris, R. (2002) Fire intensity, slopewash and bio-transfer of sediment in eucalypt forest, Australia. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 27:1309-1319.
- Dragovich, D. and Susino, G.J. (2001) Identification of experimental microdebitage from rock engravings. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 26: 859-868.
- Dragovich, D. (2000) Rock engraving chronologies and accelerator mass spectrometry radiocarbon age of desert varnish. Journal of Archaeological Science, 27: 871-876.