Dr Eleanor Bruce, PhD
Senior Lecturer, Part-time
Madsen Building (F09), Rm 458
Phone: +61 2 9351 6443
Fax: +61 2 9351 3644
Eleanor Bruce’s research interests are in environmental spatial analysis and modelling. More specifically this research has focused on examining processes of habitat loss in urban coastal environments, the use of GIS and remote sensing in vegetation change detection and landscape heritage management, marine zone planning and evaluating the impact of spatial data uncertainty in environmental decision-making. Current research projects include examining coastal wetland response to changes in inter-tidal sedimentation rates in Sydney Harbour and investigating links between spatio-temporal pattern and processes of landscape change to facilitate longer-term vegetation monitoring in Angkor, Cambodia. Eleanor is currently working on collaborative research projects with the Sydney Olympic Park Authority, Ku-ring-gai Council, Department of Environment and Climate Change, APSARA and UNESCO.
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- Bruce, E., Bruce, L. and Cowell, P.J., 2011. Incorporating geomorphic zonation in nutrient models for coastal-estuarine environments: coupling GIS and aquatic ecosystem modeling, In Chan, F., Marinova, D. and Anderssen, R.S. (eds) MODSIM2011, 19th International Congress on Modelling and Simulation. Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand, December 2011, pp. 1867-1873.
- Hickey, D. and Bruce, E., 2010. Examining tidal inundation and salt marsh distribution patterns using spatial analysis (Botany Bay, Australia). Journal of Coastal Research, 26(1)94-102.
- Fletcher, R., Johnson, I., Bruce, E., Khun-Neay, K., 2007. Living with heritage: Site monitoring and heritage values in Greater Angkor and Angkor World Heritage Site, Cambodia, World Archaeology, 39(3):385-405.
- Waugh, J., Neave, M., Bruce, E., 2007. The impact of varying rainfall conditions on the quality of runoff entering Wamberal Lagoon, NSW. Physical Geography, 28: 1-13.
- Halley, V. and Bruce, E., 2007. Thematic accuracy assessment of acoustic seabed data for shallow benthic habitat mapping, International Journal of Environmental Studies, 64(1):93–107.
- Bruce, E. M. and Eliot, I. G., 2006. A spatial model for marine park zoning, Coastal Management Journal, 34(1): 17-38.
- Bruce, E. M., 2005. Spatial Uncertainty in Marine and Coastal GIS, in D. Bartlett and J. Smith (eds.), GIS for Coastal Zone Management. London: CRC Press, pp. 51-62.
- Bruce, E., Cowell P. C. and Stolper, D., 2003. Development of a GIS based Estuary Sedimentation Model, in C Woodrofe and R. Furness (eds), Coastal GIS – An Integrated Approach to Australian Coastal Issues: 271-85. Wollongong: Centre for Maritime Policy. Wollongong Papers on Maritime Policy 14.
- Bartlett, D. J. and Bruce, E., 2002. Quality Control in Coastal GIS, in B.C. Sain, I. Pavlin and S. Belfiore (eds), An Evaluation of Progress in Coastal Policies at the National Level, A Transatlantic and Euro-Mediterranean Perspective: 221-39. Dordtrecht: Kluwer Academic. NATO Science Series.
- Bruce, E. M., Eliot, I. G. and Milton, D. J., 1997. A method for assessing the thematic and positional accuracy of seagrass mapping, The International Journal of Marine Geodesy, Special Issue on Marine and Coastal Geographic Information Systems (MCGIS), 20(3-4): 175-193.
- GEOS 3014/3914 - GIS in Coastal Management
- Course Coordinator Spatial Science Program
Master of Applied Science (Spatial Information Science)
Graduate Diploma in Applied Science (Spatial Information Science)
Graduate Certificate in Applied Science (Spatial Information Science)
- GEOG 5002 - Geographic Information Science B (Unit Coordinator)
- GEOG 5005 - Spatial Science Research Project
Examining farm consolidation and fragmentation as a driver for invasive weeds in productive agricultural lands
Nathan Wales (2012)
Combining remote sensing change detection and qualitative data to examine landscape change in the context of world heritage
Josephine Gillespie (2010)
Monumental challenges: local perspectives on world heritage landscape regulation at Angkor Archaeological Park, Cambodia
Rowena Butland (2010)
Scaling Angkor: Perceptions of scale in the interpretation and management of cultural heritage
Elizabeth Moylan (2006)
An investigation into spatio-temporal models used in landscape history studies
Deanne Hickey (2009)
The role of wetland hydrology on vegetative structure within a coastal wetland environment