Sustainability in the School of Geosciences
The University's Sustainability on Campus initiative aims to engage staff in the challenges of implementing sustainable practices at work. The program is designed to find ways to operate more sustainably through a range of practical strategies. We have prioritised energy and water consumption, waste management, recycling and transport as key areas for improvement.
Find out more about the Sustainability on Campus Program.
What you can do to promote sustainability
- Reduce paper usage by using 100% recycled paper, printing, copying less and using double-sided printing whenever possible.
- Print less - disk space is cheap and easily searched, often making it much easier to find than a printed copy.
- Use the yellow recycling bins to promote paper recycling around campus.
- Improve water efficiency in toilets and all water outlets.
- Set computer monitors and disks to sleep when idle and turn them off at night where possible.
- Use natural lighting during the day (when possible) and turn off unnecessary lights at night.
- Use natural ventillation in your office (if possible) to minimise use of air conditioning.
- Recycling via our Terracycle Initiative. The Terracycle recycling box can be found in the Madsen Building Foyer next to the USIMS poster.
Madsen Building Collection Times:
Monday: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Tuesday: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Wednesday: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Thursday: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Friday: 9.00am - 5.00pm
- Participate in periodic 'Bring out your dead' campaigns for recycling of computer equipment via the University's e-waste recycling.
- Avoid driving to work where possible.
- Report leaky taps, toilets and other building issues to the CIS Service Desk by calling 9351 7838 or by notifying .